Ritter trustees agreed at their meeting this month to begin a building renovation project that will secure the structure of the historic, marble facade on the original part of the building. The project, which is still in the planning stage, will include repointing the mortar in the building’s brick, marble and sandstone.
The original building was constructed in 1958 with funds provided by George Ritter, son of a local family. His design was based on the architecture of the Joseph Swift house, a mansion located seven miles south of Vermilion which was built in 1841. Ritter provided additional money to purchase marble from the state of Georgia, choosing pink marble rather than white because of the worry that white marble might darken over time.