Ritter Public Library is seeking an enthusiastic individual to fill a full time associate vacancy in our Adult Services Department. The ideal candidate will assist in a variety of library services from helping patrons at the information desk, providing reference services, conducting adult programming and offering technology training.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 1 year previous experience in customer service. Previous library or education experience preferred.
Ritter Public Library is located in Vermilion, Ohio. We serve a year-round population of approximately 15,000 and our location on the shores of Lake Erie brings in many visitors as well.
This is a full-time (35-39 hours per week) position consisting of days, evenings and weekends.
A full job description is posted to the right.
Starting wage is $15.02/hour.
Please submit cover letter, resume and 3 references through the form below or to:
Ritter Public Library
5680 Liberty Ave Vermilion, OH 44089
Closing date for applications: Friday, September 27, 2019
No phone calls, please.
Full Job Description
JOB TITLE: Reference Associate
DEPARTMENT: Head of Adult Services
SUPERVISOR: Adult Services Librarian
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Non- Exempt
HOURS: Full time with day, evening and weekend hours as needed
Bachelor’s degree required. Proficiency in MS office suite applications, social media and online learning applications required. Previous public service/ customer service experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
Ohio Library Council’s Core Competencies for Library Staff and Core Technology Competencies for Library Staff.* library policies and procedures,* library core values*, library science and technology,* Dewey Decimal Classification System*, integrated library systems,* electronic resources*, information and research techniques*, wide range of adult books and authors,* knowledge of basic print / online reference sources*, computer software, Internet search skills, interpersonal/ communication skills required to instruct staff and public with continuing educational training opportunities. Convey a positive, professional image to the public, interact and respond appropriately to customers and staff, develop and maintain effective working relationships with the supervisor, Director, and co-workers, communicate effectively in written and oral form, maintain confidentiality.
*May be acquired after hire
Works primarily inside the library. Lifting, moving, shelving of books and other light materials, operating various types of office equipment is a regular part of this job. Required to attend meetings and training sessions outside the library.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
Ritter Public Library will provide for the educational, informational and recreational needs of the community. Under direction, the Reference Associate supports this mission by providing accurate reference and Readers’ Advisory services to customers, in person via phone, email or other electronic devices and services. Assists in maintaining the adult collection, provides programming and training, serves on library committees, and works with the Head of Adult Services in projects as required.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES and BEHAVIORS:
Ability to promote and support the library needs of customers of all ages through materials, services and programming:
· Provides reference and information services to customers (in person, via phone, email, print or other electronic communication) using available print and electronic resources
· Provides Reader’s Advisory services, accessing print and electronic resources, recommending appropriate materials to customers
· Assists customers in developing basic research skills
· Assists customers in the use of library equipment, including specialized training classes
· Keeps current with library literature and trends
· Assists and helps develop adult programming ideas, classes, workshops and other informational and recreational programs
· Leads adult book discussion groups; chooses titles, develops discussion questions
· Orders, organizes and maintains tax forms for community access
· Responsible for inter-library loans
· Provides outreach services to community groups as needed.
· Ensures provision of polite, attentive customer service to all ages using library services. Models and reinforces excellent customer service skills. Refers customer suggestions and complaints that cannot be addressed to supervisor or Director. Refers incidents when appropriate and necessary, using good judgment about when to refer a question to another individual or department for better customer service or a more complete and accurate answer. Observant of the safety and security of the facility, staff and customers.
Communication, Teamwork and Networking:
· Works and serves as a positive part of a team-oriented work environment
· Communicates effectively with coworkers and other departments; assisting Head of Adult Services in various aspects of department functions and responsibilities, understanding, performing and conveying the library’s mission to the community
· Participates in training opportunities, meetings etc., as directed by Head of Adult Services
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of Ritter Public Library. Since no job description can detail all duties and responsibilities that may be required form time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job will also be considered part of the job holder’s responsibility. Any individual who poses a direct threat to the health and safety of herself/himself or others in the workplace will be deemed not qualified for this position.