RITTER PUBLIC LIBRARY TRUSTEESHIP APPLICANT INFORMATION
Deadline for applications: October 16, 2015
MISSION STATEMENT – RITTER PUBLIC LIBRARY
We bring the world to Vermilion.
THE ROLE OF THE LIBRARY BOARD
The library board represents the community, and is responsible for the overall operation of a financially stable and efficient public library for residents of the Vermilion local school district. This operation is under the administrative guidance of the director who is hired by the board. Financial and building operation is currently under the auspices of the Fiscal Officer/Facility Manager, also hired by the board. The director interprets the policies of the board to assure that the needs and expectations of the taxpayers, customers, employees and the budget commission are being met in the best possible way.
The board expresses its views in the policies, which it adopts. A board member should voice his or her opinion and views openly. Each member brings a different personal experience to the board and each person’s opinion should be openly expressed and listened to carefully before board action is taken. Once the board has adopted a policy officially, however, it is the responsibility of each board member to accept and support that policy.
The board should not become directly involved in the library’s operations, but it also should not become a rubber stamp for the administration.
In addition to being a policy setting group, the board also is an advocacy group, supporting the library before the state legislature, civic and cultural organizations, and the public at large.
-Adapted from the Ohio Library Trustee Handbook
EXPECTATIONS OF TRUSTEES
Trustees serve a 7-year term without compensation. They are expected to:
• Attend regular Board meetings (currently, Second Tuesday of the month except August, beginning at 7:00p.m.) and other special meetings as called.
• Serve on at least two Board committees and attend committee meetings.
• Keep current on local, state, and national issues of relevance to libraries.
• Attend at least one professional development activity each year (local, regional, state).
• Assume a leadership or officer role at the Board and/or Committee level at some time during the Trustee’s term.
• Make policy and budgetary decisions related to the fulfillment of the Mission Statement of the Library.
Selected applicant will fulfill unexpired term of current Trustee whose term ends 12/31/17, at which time that individual may be appointed to a full 7 year term by the Vermilion Board of EducationNo more submissions accepted at this time.